I received the official copy of my marriage certificate from the Ontario government in the mail last night. I have been waiting for 3 months and 4 days for this piece of paper to arrive so that I can officially change my name. Now that I have our marriage certificate let the fun of changing my name begin!!
The name change process seems to be a time consuming process that I am not looking forward to. Many people have told me not to bother changing my name, because it's a hassle, Shawn even told me that it wouldn't bother him if I didn't take his last name, but I'm determined. When we start our family I would like all of us to share the same last name. No one said marriage would be easy and I figure changing my name is one of the many challenges that I will face as a wife.
So here's the name change process:
The name change process seems to be a time consuming process that I am not looking forward to. Many people have told me not to bother changing my name, because it's a hassle, Shawn even told me that it wouldn't bother him if I didn't take his last name, but I'm determined. When we start our family I would like all of us to share the same last name. No one said marriage would be easy and I figure changing my name is one of the many challenges that I will face as a wife.
So here's the name change process:
- 1st step in the name change process is to go to the DMV to have my name changed on my drivers license. This is an important step because most of the other places (including the social Security office) will not allow you to change your name without proper photo identification. (Update - I changed my name on my driver's license shortly after this post was initially published).
- 2nd step in the name change process will be to change my name on my Social Security card. So stop number 2 will be at the social Security Office. I can not change my name at work until I have changed my name on my social Security card (this has something to do with having the correct name on my W2 at the end of the year). (Update - I am currently stuck on this step. I can't change my name on my social security card until I have changed my name on my Green Card. Name changes on Green Cards are apparently a big deal so I am now in the process of applying for my US citizenship so that I can change my name on my social security card, which will then let me change my name at work).
- Once step 1 and step 2 are complete I can start the process of changing my name everywhere else, like work, the bank, credit cards, my car lease etc.
Now I'm a bit of a procrastinator, so it will be interesting to see how long this entire process takes...
If I was truly ambitious I would use a lunch break this week to change my drivers license, but then I remembered that I'm traveling next week for work and all of my reservations are under the name Amy Gray. I wouldn't want to run into any issues with having a drivers license that has a last name doesn't match my reservations or the name on my VISA, so I guess I better wait to change my name on my drivers license until I return from my trip.
No comments:
Post a Comment